Saturday, December 26, 2015

Davis Mountains State Park

Two days is not enough time at this State Park to see and do all there is to do. I will have to come back for a longer visit. This view from my site in the campground.
There are some hiking trails I did...
This view from the Old CCC trail of Limpia Canyon and Creek, source of water for the old Fort Davis.
And there are many trails I didn't have time for.
Birding is good here. There are a couple of bird blinds for watching birds at feeders.
I think this is a Ladder-backed Woodpecker.
Pine Siskins
I do prefer to find my birds out and about. These White-winged Doves are roosting.
I enjoyed watching the Acorn Woodpecker storing acorns in a telephone pole. First he places the acorn in a pre-drilled hole.
Then he hammers it in...
Then I think he counts to make sure they are all there...
I saw enough of these birds to figure them out...
I believe they are Canyon Towhees...a new one to me.

Curve-billed Thrasher
Some other scenes from the park.


Indian Lodge and Restaurant. Of course the restaurant was closed the days I was there. 
View from the top of the mountain. 
McDonald Observatory on the distant mountains. I will do a separate blog post about that. 
So much to do, so little time. There's a long scenic drive through the Davis Mountains I didn't have time to do because I spent a half day touring at McDonald Observatory...one of the first stops along that drive. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to recent spam in comments, all new comments will be moderated and approved before publishing.